Banner

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Story of the Candy Cane

Look at the Candy Cane,
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for me.

White is for my savior,
Who is sinless and pure!
"J" is for Jesus my Lord,
 That is for sure.

Turn it around
And a staff you will see,
Jesus my Shepherd
Was born for me.

Author Unknown


There are many stories that seem to go along with the candy cane. Many are true and many are false. This  confection has long been a part of out Christmas Celebrations. The caney cane may just be one of the most easily recognized of the Christmas symbols. The origin and symbolisin of the humble candy cane is somewhat of a mystery. It seems to have been simply been created as a sweet treat for children. The symbolic attributes were given in later years.  All stories seem to agree that the candy started out as a straight white stick of candy. It was tied to the Christmas tree branches along with other treats and trinkets.

Christmas Cards before 1900 show plain white canes on the tree while  striped canes appear in the early 20th century.

The strongest connection one has found to make the connection between the origin of the candy cane and the Christian symbol  is that someone took the existing form of the straight stick of candy and produced the bent version to pass out to children in church to ensure good behavior.

Another story tells that a candy maker wanted to produce a candy representing his Christian faith. He incorporated symbols of the birth, ministry and death of Jesus into the candy. He began with a pure white hard candy to represent the Virgin Birth, hard to represent the solid rock, and firmness to represent the promise of God. He made it in the shape of a "J" top represent Jesus. It also represents the staff of the Good Shepherd.

Thinking that the candy was a bit too plain he stained it with stripes. He used three small red stripes to represent the scourging Jesus recieved , by which we are healed. The large red stripe represents the blood shed  by Jesus on the cross to give us eternal life.

Today  we very seldon see a Christmas tree  without the adornment of candy canes. I knowe all my grandchildren love coming and always will ask. Can I have a candy cane from the tree?

One of the largest candy companies producing the candy cane is the Spangler  Company of Bryan Ohio. They also are the producers of Dum Dum Suckers. Spangler Co. produces 2.7 million candy canes a day. Not only do they produce the traditional peppermint but also the  Jelly Belly, Sour Punches, Smarties, Shrek, Cinnabon, and Dum Dum Flavored ones.

Now days  people are even crafting with candy canes for the Christmas Season.

Jazz up a large candle by hot gluing on unwrapped candy canes. Tie a pretty  red bow around the it and set on a pretty candle holder. What a easy craft and pretty also.

I hope you have enjoyed this little bit of Candy Cane information and come Christmas time  look at the candy cane in a new light.

Here is a beautiful floral arrangment for the Christmas  Holiday which uses Candy Canes.





3 comments:

  1. Karan,
    Hello!!

    I signed up as a follower!! After all, us Christmas people have to stick together , don't we?
    I Love your Christmas Blog! the background is so pretty!!
    I enjoyed reading what you have posted thus far!!
    I did not know and never heard of the Christmas Spider Tale. I loved it when my friend, Anne Marie gave it to me. She had never heard of it either and she found the spider with the card at a shop in New York while antiquing.
    Thanks so much for visiting as often as you do!

    Many Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karan, Welcome to blogland! Great Christmas post, thanks for joining my party last week, I hope you stop by again!

    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too will follow on my way out, I have enjoyed you blog and so well presented. I hope you come visit me and see my Christmas Posts. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete